Welcome New Staff!
November 15, 2017
By Allison Gonzalez
You may not have met our newest staff members yet, so here’s your chance to learn a little bit about Matt Lake, Wendy Lake, and Jared Lathem!
Wendy Lake, Children’s Ministry Volunteer Coordinator
Wendy was born and raised in Pascagoula, Mississippi. She was a make-up artist and stylist before becoming a mom, and after staying home with her two boys for 11 years, she worked as a substitute teacher at the Mt. Bethel Academy before beginning her position here.
- Her hobbies include mountain biking, camping, drinking coffee, and finding new “hole-in-the-wall” places to eat with her family.
- Wendy’s happy place is camping at a lake.
- The best thing she’s ever eaten is the fried shrimp po-boy from Bozo’s Seafood Market in her hometown of Pascagoula.
- Her favorite thing to read is historical fiction.
- One of her favorite shows is Once Upon a Time.
Matt Lake, Director of Children’s Ministry
Matt grew up in LeMars, Iowa, and attended the University of Arizona, where he played baseball. After 17 years in the mortgage business, he switched gears and transitioned to ministry. As you might have guessed, Wendy is his wife, and they have two sons, Cooper (11) and Brody (7), and a 14-year-old Chihuahua.
- Matt loves BBQ.
- His dream job would be as a mountain bike guide in Colorado.
- His favorite vacation was visiting Disney World with his family.
Jared Lathem, Pastor of The Gathering
Jared was raised in the Alpharetta and Johns Creek area and currently lives in Ball Ground, Georgia. He and his wife Lim (pronounced “Leem”) have four children — Zoe 10, Elijah 7, Alana 2, and Zyana 8 months. He received his B.A. in Media Communications from Asbury University and has worked as the Pastor of Ball Ground UMC and Northridge Community Church in Richmond, Kentucky.
- His favorite place he’s ever lived was on a houseboat on Lake Lanier.
- On a typical Saturday afternoon, you’ll find him watching a movie or spending time with his family.
- If he weren’t in ministry, he’d be making movies or teaching.
- His favorite musician is Bob Dylan.
- Jared is a baseball and college football fan, and his favorite teams are the Braves and the Georgia Bulldogs.