March 26, 2020
By Linda Freeland
Over the last few days, I have felt led to share some scriptures and truths with friends through Facebook to help pray during these difficult times. I recently read a summary of prayer points that Cindy Jacob prayed to declare God’s Word and Truth to dis-empower the hold that COVID19 has on HIS people. Hebrews 4:12 says, “For the Word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” God’s Word is His truth going out of our mouths, and then back into our spirits, filling us, guarding our hearts and thoughts. It is life!
I have been asked to share the prayer points with you. I share a prayer point by Cindy Jacobs, and then add my commentary below each. Pray them one a day, or pray them all every day. Just make sure that you personalize each. Let your heart speak to God’s heart. He loves you and wants to hear what is on your heart. And then, let Him speak back to you. And know that HE WILL!
1. Luke 21:15 – Jesus said, “I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict.”
Natural Reaction: Panic and distortion of truth
Spiritual Truth: Jesus gives us wisdom
Father, I pray that you give us all Your true wisdom. Let us all take the time to seek you first, and to hear from You! In Jesus’ Name…
2: Luke 12:2 – Jesus said, “There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed or hidden that will not be made known.”
Natural Reaction: Confusion, mysterious (spirit of confusion)
Spiritual Truth: God shines His light on the darkness
As a church, we are studying John 1. When re-reading I focused on verse 5: “The Light shines on in the darkness, and the darkness did not understand it or overpower it or appropriate it or absorb it [and is unreceptive to it].” AMP
Notice that when we allow THE LIGHT-Jesus- to shine on the darkness, we can receive it and appropriate it – receive Jesus! He came and many did not and still do not receive HIM…the Light of the World. Receive Him today, and let HIM shine HIS light into your darkness and confusion!!!
3. Proverbs 3:7-8 – “Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.”
Natural Reaction: Sickness (spirit of infirmity)
Spiritual Reaction: God is our Healer (Jehova-Rapha..Exodus 15:26)
I pray that we all look to Him for everything during these times…Read Proverbs 3:1-6. When we look to HIM for answers, He is true and faithful to guide us and Heal us!
4. II Corinthians 9:8 – “And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.”
Natural Reaction: Hoarding of supplies (spirit of greed)
Spiritual Reaction: God is generous
May we, the Body of Christ, see the needs around us during this time and reach out to help those in need. Trust God…He is a good, good Father!
5. John 8:32 – Jesus said, “You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
Natural Reaction: Deception (lying spirit)
Spiritual Truth: Jesus is Truth
Father, I pray that we would all know YOUR Truth and not listen to the lies of the enemy. May we take every thought captive and make it obedient to Christ-the Truth!
6. Psalm 91 ( I love to read it in many different translations)
Natural Reaction: Epidemic (Spirit of insecurity)
Spiritual Truth: God is our protector.
As you read Psalm 91, personalize it and pray it over you and your household. Declare it and let the WORD build your faith and trust in the LORD, our deliverer, Jehovah Nissi!!
7. Colossians 1:15-17 – “The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in HIM, all things were created; things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created through HIM and for HIM.”
Natural Reaction: Power and control (spirit of control)
Spiritual Truth: Jesus is supreme!
Father, I pray today that we will rejoice and acknowledge that YOU are God and that we are not! I give you control of my life and, especially right now, my thought life! I praise You that You are King of Kings, Lord of Lords, King of the universe, the Way, the Truth, and the LIFE!
8. Philippians 4:19 – “And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of His Glory in Christ Jesus.”
Natural Reaction: Financial Insecurity (spirit of poverty)
Spiritual Truth: God is our Provider.
GOD is the one whom we look to…He’s the one who provides for us. He sees us…He cares for us…He IS providing for us. In fact, HE provided for our greatest need. He sent Jesus to die for us so that we can have life in HIM! He sees, He knows, and HE is our Jehovah Jireh, our provider! Place your security in HIM.
9. 1 Corinthians 14:33 – “For God is not a God of disorder but of peace.”
Natural Reaction: Chaos and disorder (spirit of chaos)
Spiritual Truth: God is Peace
If you are feeling confused, chaotic, and disorderly, know that it is not from God! It is put there by Satan to take your peace away. John taught our girls and me that anytime we were lacking peace and felt overwhelmed or anxious, to put our hand on our head and quote from 2 Corinthians 10:5, “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” Ask God to put your thought life back into His peaceful order.
10. Ephesians 4:31 – “Get rid of all bitterness, rage, and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.”
Natural Reaction: Blaming (spirit of divisiveness)
Spiritual Truth: God brings grace
Pray for our leaders in our church, and government, local and national. Also, pray for our families. It’s hard to “shelter in place” with the ones we love the most. Because the ones we love the most are the ones who know how to push our buttons the best. So pray more often. Pray without ceasing. And give more grace!!
11. 1 John 3:1 – “See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God.”
Natural Reaction: Contagious, so we isolate.
Spiritual Truth: Fellowship and family of God
We should obey our government officials and shelter in place. That’s wisdom! BUT, we should not isolate ourselves totally. We should connect with our friends and family through phone, facetime, social media (unless that stresses you out!), emails, etc… For those introverts, make yourself available. I’m sure that people are wanting to hear from you. And extroverts that are having such a hard time with this, call some people that you’ve not heard from in a while and share Jesus’s love. He lavishes His love on us, so let’s lavish His love on others!
12. Psalms 27:1 – “The LORD is my light and my salvation-whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life -of whom shall I be afraid?”
Natural Reaction: Fear (spirit of fear)
Spiritual Truth: God is trustworthy and faithful
LORD, reminds us that you are our salvation…You have not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. You are what we hold onto. Bring to our minds your Word that tells us of your deliverance, your mercy, and your salvation. May we sing praise to Your name all the days of our lives!
Here are a few more suggestions to help you pray:
- Read a Psalm a day and then pray it back to God.
- Put some worship music on YouTube, Pandora, Spotify, etc… and let it permeate your house. Worship. I like what Cole said on Sunday, “ God is not more worthy of our worship in a building.” So worship, and worship loud!
- Pray for others at this time. Taking our focus off of ourselves and praying for the needs of others is God’s heart for us!
- If you ever need me, or just want to talk or pray, please feel free to call, text, email me. I am there for you! I love you with the love of the LORD!