A ministry of Kidz2Leaders
Trina Griffiths (MB Advocate), [email protected]
Ellen Cooper (Community Relations Manager), [email protected], 770.977.7751 or 404.434.4005
Location: Camp Twin Lakes, Rutledge, GA and Warm Springs, GA
Kidz2Leaders exists to break the cycle of incarceration by providing stability, opportunity and a Christian community for children of inmates. We accomplish this by helping them rise above their circumstances, empowering them to become leaders, and providing a life of hope through intentional, faith-based programming in a loving environment.
Our ten-year program continuum is designed to cultivate long-term, supportive relationships, beginning with children at age eight and serving them and their families through young adulthood. We believe it is only through this long-term commitment that can we truly end generational incarceration. Young adults who complete our decade of programming are on a trajectory toward living their lives free from incarceration and contributing positively to their communities.
As the entry point into the lives of the children and families we serve, Camp Hope is a week-long overnight camp that begins with children of inmates between ages eight and ten. Progressing each summer for up to seven years, our carefully designed curriculum teaches the basic Christian principles of love, forgiveness, trust, joy, and servant leadership.
Camp Hope needs Christian teen, college, and adult volunteers to serve as counselors. Counselors learn how to be a “kid” again with their camper and teach their camper by actions rather than words. They serve not only as a counselor, but as a mentor, sister or brother, and friend for the whole week.
There will be three sessions of Camp Hope in 2019:
June 2 – 7 (Leadership Camp) at Camp Twin Lakes in Warm Springs, GA
June 9 – 14 (Cornerstone Camp) at Camp Twin Lakes in Warm Springs, GA
June 29 – July 3 (Cornerstone Camp) at Camp Twin Lakes in Rutledge, GA
Counselor Applications are available online now.
Additional Service opportunities:
- Volunteers are needed to assist with camper check-in and check-out at Mt. Bethel for each session of camp. Check-in occurs on Sunday, June 2 and 9, and Saturday, June 29. Check-out occurs on Friday, June 7 and 14, and Wednesday, July 3.
- Volunteer to aid in camp preparations in the office, including making phone calls, providing data entry, and other clerical duties.
- Help provide transportation to campers who need a ride to/from Mt. Bethel.
- Help by hosting a supply drive prior to camp – organize your small group or friends to donate/shop for needed supplies like pillows, sheets, towels, blankets, etc.
- Financially sponsor a camper.
- Pray for campers, their families, and their counselors.
Kidz2Leaders provides three other program platforms and each have volunteer opportunities as well:
Volunteer to chaperone field trips or retreats throughout the year.
- Become a Business Coach or Business Sponsor for the Interns4Tomorrow program.
- Prepare lunch for an intern training meeting.
- Provide transportation for students to/from summer internships, retreats or family outings – flexible commitments of one day to three weeks.
- Volunteer at annual Hope4Christmas party.
- Become a regular office volunteer.
- Volunteer or participate at one of our fundraising events.